The Tigers got some good news and bad news on the injury...
HEGONE: Ryan Raburn released and other Tigers news and notes
Go and get the tissue box Tiger fans, Ryan Raburn has been released.
The announcement of Raburn’s outright release came Tuesday afternoon as the Tigers made adjustments to their 40 man roster.
The veteran utility man who was good for 45 home runs and 156 RBIs between 2009-2011 was set to make $2.1 million through the arbitration process. This obviously wasn’t at all worth it for the Tigers especially after the stellar numbers Raburn posted 2012 with a slash line of .171/.226/.254 in 222 plate appearances.
Sure Raburn wasn’t very good for the Tigers, especially the last couple of seasons but I guess it’s not entirely his fault as Jim Leyland admitted that it was a mistake playing him as much as he did perhaps inducing more struggles in the veteran utility man. Still he wasn’t nearly as annoying as Brandon Inge who seemed to feel entitled to his position with the team despite his poor numbers both at the dish and in the field.
- According to Jason Beck, the Tigers could still be looking for a right-handed hitting left-fielder to platoon with Andy Dirks.
- Over the weekend, the The Tigers have signed Kevin Russo to a minor league contract with an invitation to Spring Training. This comes via Jon Paul Morosi of Fox Sports (Twitter)
- George Sipple of the Detroit Free Press cites Tigers GM Dave Dombrowski who believes that if the Tigers don’t end up re-signing free agent pitcher Anibal Sanchez the offseason will be seen as a success given the signing of Torii Hunter. It would seem that not signing Sanchez for an asking price of 6 years for $90 million dollars is a victory all in itself.
- With the release of Raburn, the Tigers purchased the contracts of right-handed relievers Melvin Mercedes and Bruce Rondon and shortstop Dixon Machado from Triple-A Toledo. Rondon is considered a candidate to become the teams new closer in 2013.
h/t: Detroit Free Press, MLB.com, Twitter, Fox Sports, MLBTradeRumors.com
- Joel Hanrahan shut down, Andy Dirks resumes baseball activities
- Tigers vs. Diamondbacks (7/22) Game Preview: Porcello and the Tigers face another unknown pitcher in Chase Anderson
- Tigers interested in Phillies LHP Antonio Bastardo, possibly Jonathan Papelbon
- Tigers vs. Diamondbacks (7/21) Game Preview: Verlander and the Tigers begin a 7-game west coast trip